Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Departure from Browning and YELLOWSTONE

HOREA: After taking a picture and thanking the crew in Browning once they had succesfully installed our new oil pan, we headed straight for Yellowstone. Upon arrival, we saw how popular Yellowstone really was: cars parked at every turnout, general stores and cafeterias full of tourists, and campsites virtually impossible to claim a spot in. This was an initial turnoff, as the tranquility of nature was sacrificed to the multitude of people driving their cars to catch America’s most famous national park. I soon found out why it was so popular. This 60 by 60 mile park is almost a safari; in one day alone we saw a black bear, a grizzly bear, countless bison, deer, and elk. Our first stop was the hot springs near our campsite. We ventured around the springs walking on the sulfurous grounds only to be yelled at yet again,” Get off there! What is wrong with you!?” The young mom’s child mimicked,” Yeah, c’mon” in a whinier voice than Alex Bemis from A Seasonal Effect. We continued admiring the hot springs which were boiling and producing an orange and white color; their odor was putrid but it was well worth it. Driving around the park took a long time, and there were so many places to stop. Next on our agenda were the waterfalls. Hiking down the trails we reached the “brink” of the fall as they call it in Yellowstone, and were able to stand a couple feet away from the breathtaking natural beauty and excessively loud fall. In an instant, just standing around the waterfall I heard what sounded like Romanian from a couple close by. We conversed for a little about the park and told us to go to artists point and that it was his favorite place in the park. Due to the fact that I had not gotten any exercise in weeks, I urged Dunc to run up the trail that led us to the waterfall. This must have been a climb of 200 feet and was much easier said than done. We ran past all the hikers and the Romanian guy uttered words of inspiration on my way up. Stopping a couple of times, we finally made it to the top of the trail feeling lightheaded and dizzy. So much for being in shape for the UCSD tennis team. The artist point was a spot to see all of Yellowstone’s beauty: the crashing waterfall, the vividly colored and jagged canyon, and the vivacious wildlife. We admired, took some quick pictures, and kept on exploring. Driving around the park was awesome. Traffic would be stopped by hordes of bison walking into the road and completely blocking off the intersections. They would just stand there, with their ball sack hanging out looking at you with their deformed face with their tongues out at all times. Not to mention they smelled like shit. Last on our agenda was to see old faithful, the mother of all geysers and the most famous attraction in Yellowstone. We got there past sundown and but still saw the steam rising up to the heavens. We decided we did not want to wait another 90 minutes, I packed a lipper with Dunc, and we headed back to our campsite.  Now I know why Yellowstone is so popular. The park is home to things that will never be seen anywhere else in the US. Poooooooooooooooo. J

No comments:

Post a Comment